Saturday, April 5, 2014

How's that for knowledge there conjunction junction?





50 years ago this week, The Beatles made history with this song (hear it here). They became the first and only act in history to hold all 5 of the top slots in the Billboard Hot 100.


1) In this song, Beatle Paul offers to buy his girl a diamond ring. Do you wear rings?Sometimes - I have a couple.  But it seems like every time I do, someone is like - ooh, did you get engaged?  married?  How about no - jerkface - that's the only finger they fit on.  LOL

2) This song was written by boyhood friends John Lennon and Paul McCartney, who went on to become the most successful songwriters of the 20th century. Tell us about  your best friend from "the old neighborhood." Do you know where he or she is today?


Karen L.  We lived next door until I was in 2nd grade (I think?), and then we moved up the street (same street, different house) to a bigger house.  I know where she is.  Well, not right this second, but yeah.  I know where she is, and her brother AND her mother!  How's that for knowledge there conjunction junction? 
*edited to add this picture.  Damn we were cute!!  And really - I haven't changed.  LOL



3) The Ed Sullivan Theater, where the Beatles first performed to a mass American audience, is now the home of The Late Show with David Letterman. Do you have a favorite late night talk show?

I always liked Letterman, I now love Jimmy Fallon and wish I could stay up late enough to watch Craig Ferguson.  I could just listen to him talk all night.  LOL

4) In 1964, when this song became #1, one of top TV shows was My Favorite Martian. Do you believe in life on other planets?Come on, really.  There are thousands of planets, stars, moons, etc. out there - we CAN'T be the only ones..  Can we?

5) In those days, homes had rotary dial phones, often affixed to the wall, with the receiver always tethered by a curly cord. Does your home still have a landline phone?Yep.  But we don't answer it, or really use it.  My internet was cheaper with the landline, go figure.  I give that number to bill collectors.  LOL

6) 1964 was the year GI Joe first appeared on toy shelves. Tell us about one of your favorite childhood toys. Raggedy Ann.  And then my older siblings threw her out the window into the alley below where the mean dog was.  Never saw her again. 

7) Ringo was the first Beatle to become a grandfather. His granddaughter, Tatia, is now a rock musician. If you were to follow your grandfather into his chosen profession, what would you be doing now?One was a Boston cop, the other was a painter.  He was a house painter, and, according to my aunt Harriet's memories?  He's the one that convinced them to paint the White House white, you know.  (She was a very very gullible child).. LOL

8) Paul McCartney admits he enjoys watching MasterChef. What show do you go out of your way to catch?Oh dear.  Everyone knows not to call my house on Sunday nights.  The Walking Dead is on.  Call me then, and Imma gonna bust-a you up-a...

9) The paparazzi has often caught Paul pedaling a bike around Martha's Vineyard. What's your favorite form of exercise?

Pedaling a bike around on Martha's Vineyard.  I love Martha.  She has the BEST island..
And if you're a fan of Jaws?  That's me and Stella, in the water after jumping off the Jaws Bridge.  LOL


Happy Weekend!!
 

6 comments:

The Gal Herself said...

I love, LOVE that you jumped off the Jaws bridge. That is great.

But it doesn't make up for what happened to Raggedy Ann. That sucks!

CountryDew said...

That is a sad story about your Raggedy Ann.

lia said...

i had a raggedy ann, too, but it didn't meet such as sad fate as yours did. :(

i give my landline number to people i don't want to talk to as i rarely answer it, and it has no voicemail, so no messages saying to call back. but, like you, my internet is cheaper with the landline.

I am Harriet said...

I had a Raggedy Ann too. I loved the little heart on her chest.

Diana_CT said...

Wow! I could never jump off a bridge like that, even in my younger days.

Helena said...

Wow! Good on ya! That's some jump - I'd have been shitting myself!

Poor raggedly-ann - it's a shame dolls aren't sibling-proof!