Saturday, July 19, 2014

She was right, Christian Mingle would probably be a bad idea..

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!


Saturday 9: Ring of Fire
(because country music was recommended by Colletta's Kitchen's Sink)


If you're not familiar with today's song, you can hear it here.


1) Recorded by Johnny Cash, "Ring of Fire" was written by his wife, June Carter. Johnny's daughter Roseanne says it's about "the transformative power of their love." What's your favorite love song?
I really like "Happy" by Bruce Springsteen..  but other than that?  Don't really have one.  I'll let you know when I find it.

2) Though more than 50 years old, this song is still popular today. Country Music Television named it one of the best and most requested of all time. Are you a country music fan?
Damn skippidy straight!

3) This recording features mariachi horns, inspired by Mexican folk music. Have you ever been to Mexico? 
I have!  Spent a week in Cancun with a bunch of friends..  good times... good times...

4) Cash's birth certificate said, "J. R. Cash," and "J.R." is what his parents always called him. When he enlisted in the Air Force, Uncle Sam refused to let him simply go by initials, so he chose the name "John." If you could choose a different name for yourself, what would it be?
  I actually introduced myself as Ingrid to someone last night.  He told me his name was Fred, and I figured if he was lying then so should I.  LOL   And he was a friend of a friend, and an absolute hoot.  When he walked away, I asked my friend if he was single, and sadly, he was not.  Her daughter then proceeded to ask me if I was "churchy"...  Which I'm not, and told her as much.  She then informed me that "Christian Mingle" probably wouldn't work for me.  

5) Cash and his first wife, Vivian, had their first date at a roller skating rink. Tell us about one of your first dates.
I went on a date with a guy that worked for the same company, but in another location.  He showed up with black pants, black jacket and a bright yellow shirt.  I couldn't get the image of a bumble bee out of my head.  Nice guy, but I just wasn't feeling it..

6) Cash died in September, 2003, four months after he lost his second wife, and love of his life, June. The cause of death given was complications from diabetes, but his children believe he died of a broken heart. Do you think that's possible? 
I remember once feeling like I was going to die when the boy's father and I broke up (and I broke up with him, for the record).. now I realize that was one of two things.  1.  Gas or 2.  Growing pains.  Or maybe it was a combination of the two..

7) Cash was known as "The Man in Black." What color do you wear most often?
I'm wearing blue and green right now..

8) There's a Johnny Cash Museum in Nashville. What's the last museum you visited?
Oh dear... The Art Museum in Chicago, I think..

9) A stretch of Tennessee Highway 31E is known as "Johnny Cash Parkway." What street in your town is named for a famous person? 
I don't know, but I'm sure there's a Jeter Way in Kalamazoo somewhere...

5 comments:

CountryDew said...

You could always try "farmers only" ... sheesh.

katie eggeman said...

Ah another country music fan, We seem to be the only..est, so far. I was not that fond of Mexico, so I haven't been back.

I am Harriet said...

Now you've got me wondering if CMT is still around on my cable.

The Gal Herself said...

Your Christian Mingle made me smile. My oldest friend refuses to try church because she's divorced and she knows Catholics frown on divorce. OK, there are about a gazillion other religions but never mind. Then she turns around and signs up for Christian Mingle. I mean, REALLY! Her reasoning was that the new millennium's Ted Bundy probably wouldn't sign up for it so ehe'd meet "safe" men. Anyway, imagine her surprise when the men she was matched with were all (gasp!) churchgoers! SMH Fortunately, I'm perfect and have never given her a moment's worry or frustration.:)

Unknown said...

Funny how she determined Christian Mingle wouldn't be a good fit for you! Wow, the yellow and black outfit was quite bumblebee-ish.