Saturday, June 13, 2015

I feel so stifled....

American Pie

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!


Saturday 9: American Pie (1971)

... because Country Dew suggested it

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In the lyrics, Don McLean refers to having once been a paper boy. When you were a kid, what job or household chores did you do for spending money?My jobs were to trim the hedges and vacuum the stairs. To this day, I still hate both.  LOL

2) Them good old boys were drinking whiskey and rye. What's the last drink you ordered? I didn't order it, I bought it.  It's just available in Michigan - it's called "Not your Father's Rootbeer" and Oh.  My.  GOD.  It's gooooooooood......

3) He drove to the levee but it was dry. When is the last time it rained where you are? 

Yesterday, last night, this morning, and a 70% chance all day.  Sigh.  I probably should put the windows back into Lucy 2.0.  I hate that though.  I feel so stifled.  

4) When McLean was working on the song, he wrote the lyrics out in long hand. It took him 16 pages of lined notebook paper. Today it's a laptop/smartphone/tablet world, and Sam can't remember the last time she hand wrote anything longer than a sign on her front door that read, "Bell broken. Plz knock." What about you? What's the last thing you wrote with pen or pencil?

My wireless password for the baseball player that is staying with us and arrived last night.

5) McLean's most recent CD is called "Addicted to Black," in reference to Olivia in The Twelfth Night. Quick! Without looking it up, name another character from Shakespeare.

Othello.  Romeo & Juliet.  Should I go on?  

6) Don was born in New Rochelle, New York, which was named one of The Best Walking Cities in America by the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA). What about your neighborhood? Is it easily walkable?

I had a home built in my neighborhood because they advertised 5 miles of walking trails.  Yeah.  That hasn't happened.  There's about a mile or so.  Apparently the 5 miles is when they are completed with all phases.  They're still in Phase I.  

7) In 1971, the year this song was popular, Walt Disney World officially opened. Have you ever been to DisneyLand or Disney World?

Both!  I was actually in Disney World I think the first or second year it opened.  I was 7, I think?  So it'd be the 2nd year.  They used tickets for rides.  Lots and lots of tickets.  LOL

8) Also in 1971, Mattel introduced Malibu Barbie. This doll was a "sun-loving California girl" and had a distinct tan. Have you ever used a tanning bed? 

Once or twice - not a huge fan of tan in the box.

9) American Pie is also the name of a 1999 movie. Have you seen it?

Hasn't just about everyone?


Been MIA for a while.  Working 60+ hours a week will do that to a person!  Got some interesting comments on one of my posts from someone that dubbed themselves "Another Kathy hater" (which would be the crazy Vinnie from the neighborhood).  It was pretty amusing, but now comments on older posts are moderated.  If we're all lucky - maybe he'll come back and spew forth some more drivel for us to laugh at.  And now it's baseball season, so I'm doing my full time job, my part time job, and my host family coordinator job for the baseball team.  Talk about busier than a one-armed paper hanger!   Oh, and in the middle of all this - the boy graduated and was celebrated.  :)  He did it, yay!  Now off to community college for the fall, and he gets to figure out what he wants to be when he grows up :)

Hope all is well with everyone!

Kathy  

6 comments:

The Gal Herself said...

Welcome home! You know you're safe here. There are no Kathy Haters allowed in Sat 9!

Gotta look into that root beer.

Cat. said...

Oh My Gosh! I had to vacuum stairs too and to this day I absolutely HATE vacuuming, really of any kind! I never ever vacuum my stairs--the cleaning lady or the kid does it. I'd forgotten all about this--some sort of repressed memory thing, I expect! :D

CountryDew said...

I wondered where you'd run off to. Glad to know you're okay and congrats to the boy. That's a big one, there. We have those "developments" here too, full of empty promises that overwhelm and dazzle the county fathers so they'll approve their dastardly housing projects. I've never seen one builder actually do what was promised - and I've covered all of that crap for the local newspaper for 30 years.

I am Harriet said...

I really need to vacuum my stairs. I dread doing so....

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Congrats to the Boy for graduating! And you have been gone awhile but it's SO nice to have you back! Hosting a baseball player sounds interesting. It must be fun.

Kwizgiver said...

Welcome back!