Monday, November 16, 2009

Time passes so quickly...

Eleven years ago today, my brother and I sat with my mother while she slipped away. It seemed fitting that he and I were there, as we had been with her all through her illness (cancer, that nasty bitch). My youngest brother had just left to go move his car, and my sister wasn't there for reasons I can't remember. It was expected. She had been diagnosed earlier in the year with colon cancer, and had a volleyball sized tumor taken out of her in April. She went downhill rapidly, but had time to say goodbye to all of us. She told me how proud she was of me for all that I had accomplished, and said I was a lot like her - stubborn and always taking the hard road - never the easy one. While in her later years (which would be late 40's early 50's), I got to know my mother more and more, and enjoy her company. When she had her chemo, it was at the hospital that I worked at, and I was lucky to have a boss that let me take her and go sit with her while she had it done. He also told me that he could find me if he needed me "that's your mother, you do whatever you have to do". In that respect, I was very blessed.

Now... about my mother....

I was sixteen the first time I remember my mother telling me that she loved me. She was borderline abusive, and any time anyone mentioned that there are hotlines now for people like her, she got pissed off. But really - there ARE hotlines now! She was verbally abusive to us as kids. We think that she was bipolar, but undiagnosed. She would go on diets, and start thinking some crazy stuff - one time she thought my uncle wanted her instead of my aunt - silly stuff like that.

It wasn't until we were all adults that she leveled off in her moods, and started to show her fun side. I remember a story of her and my aunts on a "girls" weekend away, where they all had to wear white gloves everywhere they went. And my mother was the driver of the car, and when she decided to leave a store, she would blow a whistle. If you weren't in the car when she put it in park, well, you got left behind. My aunts quickly learned to drop everything and run. Another time they got in an elevator, and when the doors shut, she started beating the crap out of my aunt. The doors slid open, she fixed her white gloves, and walked out like nothing was wrong.

I miss the mother I knew as an adult. I don't miss the mother I had as a child.
I miss the grandmother that I knew she would have been.


7 comments:

cheatymoon said...

I remember seeing this photo from before. You look so much like her.

I remember how nice your boss was then too. And I can't believe it has been 11 years, Kathy. It goes by way too quickly.

Fucking cancer.
xoxo

K Dubs said...

Thanks E :) I swear, sometimes I can sense her when I do things, it's almost like I'm channeling her. It's freaky.

Smart Mouth Broad said...

I agree with E, you do look SO much like her. Sending hugs to you, my dear. It's hard to lose your mom at any age.

K Dubs said...

thanks SMB :) I guess because it wasn't a shock and we all had time to say goodbye or anything else we wanted, that I was OK with it. It's the sudden, no chance to say a thing ones that I still have trouble with.

me said...

thats tough...having a disfunctional parent is NOT fun..... Im glad you made it through though..my own dad wasnt much to speak of so I understand....

Mike said...

That was really gut wrenching! I have the opposite situation. My mother from my childhood was a wonderful woman. My mother now acts like a nut!

K Dubs said...

trey and Otin - I made it through ok. :) And Otin - the heart wrenching part is that my son has missed out on knowing her. She would have had so much fun with him!