Saturday, March 8, 2014

Get yer ass out and walk up and down Rte 18 until you find a job, dammit...

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!



1) Spring, summer, fall or winter: which season do you consider most wonderful? I love 'em all.  Except, this year, I'm over winter now.  Spring can be here any time...

2) Crazy Sam learned this song when she played flute in the high school orchestra. Did you participate in many after-school activities?
I, too, was a flautist..  Up until my junior year, I think?  I didn't participate in many after-school things, though.  Looking back, I wish I had. 


3) The flautist next to her in the orchestra was Jeanne Pepitone. After a little Facebook spying, Sam learned that Jeanne is now Jeanne Moran, a nurse with a husband and a daughter. Sam shot her a "friend request." Do you keep up with your high school classmates?

Yes, Indeed!  I even helped plan our 30th reunion - through Facebook.  It was a blast, too. 

4) When she performed with the school orchestra, Sam was required to wear gray slacks and a black sweater. What are you wearing right now, as you answer these questions?Well, seeing as I am in the comfort of my own home, I'm wearing men's plaid PJ pants (wicked comfortable) and a blue t-shirt. 

5) Sam was especially dedicated to the school orchestra because she had a crush on Mr. Hanley, the school's musical director. He was the dark/thin/sensitive type. Tell us about a teacher you remember, and why he or she stands out.

Herr Murray!  He was our German teacher, and a very cool guy.  I think now that he was a pot-smoking liberal - which in my eyes, makes him even cooler.  LOL

6) Because Sam was so crazy about Mr. Hanley, she was desperate to attend his band camp. Her parents wouldn't allow it unless she could pay her own way, and so she didn't get to go. Were your parents strict or permissive? If you have children yourself, what's your parenting style?BAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!  That's funny.  I was told when turned 16 to get my ass out and walk up and down Rte 18 (the main drag in town) until I found a job, and when I graduated from HS, that I had 30 days to find a full time job or move out.  Oh, and if I wanted to go to college?  To find the money myself.  My parents got married young, because my mother was pregnant - they were both escaping dysfunctional families, and had the 4 of us pretty quickly.  They did the best they could, I guess.  But the words "I love you"?  Not heard often (if ever).  Affection?  Same thing.  Doing things together?  Same thing.  They didn't know how to encourage a cohesive family unit.  Which was a result of how they were raised, I'm sure.  They really put the fun into dysfunction.  It wasn't all bad, but there was a LOT that could have been improved upon.  There is a reason why it was OK to move to Michigan.
My kid?  He's 17, *my* only kid (unlike his father - to which he is #5) has a car and no job (but he's working on that).  And college?  NOT going isn't an option.  And he's a great kid.  And I tell him I love him 10 times a day. 


7) Sam liked Fridays because her favorite food, fried rice, was served in the school cafeteria. When you eat Chinese food, do you use chopsticks or a fork?I can use either.  Usually a fork though.

8) When Sam was a little girl, a new box of Crayolas could get her pulse racing. Now she loves her Sharpies. Do you enjoy shopping for school/office supplies?Ahhhhhh, no?  That doesn't excite me.  LOL

9) Do you have any plush toys? Or did you give them all up when you left childhood?

I used to have a stuffed frog, Paco.  He sat in the rear window of my camaro.  Until I totalled it.  Not sure what happened to Paco, but he was cool.  Now I have a bendable Goofy on my rear-view mirror in the Jeep.  I heart Goofy.  :)

Happy Saturday..

10 comments:

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

You sound like a great mom! Tough way to be raised. Both my wife and best friend were raised similarly.

CountryDew said...

I think we have similar childhood backgrounds. I am sorry.

The Gal Herself said...

I'm so glad you learned from the way you were raised, instead of repeating the unhappy patterns. Your son sounds like a wonderful kid!

malia said...

I too am glad you were able to change the pattern a bit! From what I read each week, you're raising your son well!

I love Goofy, too! I need to get me a bendable one.

K Dubs said...

I have broken the cycle, I hope! More so than my siblings, I'd wager. My son is a great kid that I am lucky in that respect. :). He's done more in 17 years than I had at his age, that's for sure!

zippiknits...sometimes said...

You really have done a wonderful job with your son, and broke the cycle.

Goofy is fun to have around. And your liberal Teacher tribute was a gas to read! lol

Diana_CT said...

Your teacher sounds like one of my English teachers. He drove a MG with one of those English style hats and scarf. I think he never out grew his beatnik days.

I am Harriet said...

What? Sharpies don't excite you???? :)

willingtomakeadifference said...

I understand about paying for college yourself. I got mine through the GI Bill after I got out of the service. Dysfunctional families seem to be common, but it did make some of us stronger.

K Dubs said...

James, there's one thing about paying for college yourself - there's another about not encouraging your children to want more than what you have. We weren't encouraged to go to school. We weren't encouraged to do anything. Except get our asses out and work and start paying room and board. Would I be the person I am today if my family hadn't been so dysfunctional? No. I graduated from college in 2011 with my Bachelors. My father didn't even send a card. Yeah, I'm still pissed off about it. So good for you for going to college with your GI bill.