Thursday, February 5, 2009

:(

Some of my earlier memories revolve around Suzy. We were the bestest of best friends for years when we were little. Her family lived a street over from us, and more often than not, I was at her house - especially during the summer. My sister reminded me last night of her mother yelling from the 2nd floor window that if we peed in the pool it would turn purple and lead a trail back to whoever did it so she would KNOW. There was many a time I ran for the bathroom or peed over near the grass because I was NOT going to have a trail of purple behind me leaving evidence of my pee. I remember sitting on the counter in her kitchen with her sister and brother and having "lets see who can eat 10 saltines and whistle first" contests. I never won. It was usually her brother Paul (then known as Bubby - not sure why LOL). We grew apart in 4th grade or so, a couple of new girls moved into town and took my place. I found friends that took her place. You know how it goes. But we always stayed friendly, and when her father died last year I bought a card - meaning to send it, because I have so many good memories of him. Her parents split up and he had custody of all four of them, and he was such a great guy and he did a great job, all things considered (and I say this now, looking back). Suzy and I graduated high school together. As did most of our kindergarten class - it wasn't a huge town, we all knew each other. She stayed close with my cousin and a bunch of other girls - I think the last time I saw her was at our 20th reunion in 2002.

My cousin that is still friend with her called me yesterday afternoon to say that Suzy had been at home yesterday morning and collapsed and died. I found out from another friend that she hadn't been feeling well and was going to go to the doctor, and her kids (grade school) were with her at the time it happened. My heart just broke for those kids, her husband and her friends that all loved her so much. And for the girl that I've known since we were both 5. And I cried, with so many memories.

Rest in peace, Suzy.

5 comments:

cheatymoon said...

Ack. Hang in there.

Staci said...

Kathy,
I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend Suzy...I enjoyed going down memory lane with you.

Smart Mouth Broad said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. Even though you had lost touch, it's clear that she still holds a very special place in your heart. My heart breaks for her children. I can't even imagine.

Pseudo said...

Kathy - I'm so sorry.

Kelly said...

Thank you for sharing that story. It brought tears to my eyes and I feel very sad for you and her family. Your memories are wonderful and you did a great job sharing them! I will keep you all in my prayers.