Thursday, February 5, 2009

All over the place

I've been out of touch, it's been a crazy week so far - not in a good way, either.

I'm fighting with the school system to get my son special ed services. He's got ADHD with underlying depression, and is failing in all his classes. He has a hard time getting his homework organized and/or done, he's telling me he doesn't have any because he doesn't feel like doing it, the wind isn't blowing the right way - who the hell knows. In any case, he's failing everything and desperately needs help. I'm working on that. It doesn't help that he's had ski club one night until 8:30 (and unless he's in bed before 10 he is MISERABLE the next day) and I have class Tuesday until 10. Oy...

So that's issue #1.

Issue #2 - is that last night we're talking, and he tells me that he eats lunch by himself every day. Now I know he's a goofball, doesn't have many friends - this has concerned me. He goes from a kid that everyone loves to having no friends. Well, now he tells me that he sits in the back (or at least he was) by himself because the other kids make fun of him and (as he put it) use him as a "crash test dummy" to say stuff to (like calling him fag, faggot and other stuff that he wouldn't repeat) because he doesn't say anything back. He said occasionally he'll come back with something but it doesn't do any good - they always come back with something else. I'm like "WHA...."????!!! WTF?!? And what the HELL do I do about that? If he's telling the truth?!?

And if he is telling the truth - THIS is how middle school is going for a kid that's failing and has an underlying depression problem?!?!? Holy shit!

I'm going to do a separate post about the rest....

7 comments:

cheatymoon said...

Your new layout is lovely.

Middle school sucks for many kids. Particularly 6th grade. I think middle schools should be banned. Ack.

You know I feel your pain. {{{{{}}}}}

Pseudo said...

Rough times - middle school does suck.

I have taught many, many ADHD kids. I could email you and give you a list of things to help you get started with keeping track of his homework while you wait for the meeting.

Your blog is looking very pretty BTW.

K Dubs said...

Pseudo - I'll take whatever help or advice you can give, thanks.
And thank you :)
I took the picture of the tree this morning when the sun was coming up. I may post that as a picture of the day. lol

Jack said...

Ok, my heart is breaking for you and your son right now... I've been through similar situation my my youngest daughter (turettes, ADD, Anxiety/depression), it's hard!

If your ever feeling overwhelmed and need an ear - I'll be happy to lend one...Just drop me an email :)

K Dubs said...

Thanks Jack - I might do that! It's just been a rough week all around, and my heart just broke for him yesterday telling me that. He should be out, playing with his friends and making plans for the weekend - this explains why he looks to me for entertainment all the time. Aiyaiyai..

Staci said...

middle school is hard enough without the ADHD and depression..my heart is heavy for you..wish I could help you so much.

Smart Mouth Broad said...

I have nothing to offer except that middle school does suck. We called it the middle school virus when our kids were there. Who are you and what did you do with my daughter was a phrase that went thru my head everyday.