Friday, August 26, 2011

Language....

So language. Sign language is the first language for one of my neighbors. She’s a cute little thing, and communicates by writing texts on her phone or walking around with a piece of paper and a pen. She’s very sweet and also communicates on facebook – her every move just about. But I figure that’s her way of communicating with people, so I just don’t let it bother me or think too much about it.




Last night I had a chocolate/dip party. I’m now a rep for both companies, and while the chocolate is very tasty – it’s also not cheap. It’s good chocolate. So my friend shows up with her two (both under 10) kids in tow, and they proceed to eat almost half a plate of brownies. Cut up very small – because this is the good stuff. I don’t say anything – because she’s cute. Her kids are cute. Until the boy opens his mouth. He asks if I have cookies. I tell him no. He demands something else, I tell him no. He demands a drink. I tell him that I have water. He says “I HATE WATER” and proceeds to cross his arms and take a defensive stance in front of me. I offer milk…. “I HATE MILK”.. well, what do you like then? ROOT BEER. I don’t have root beer. I have milk. I HATE MILK. What would you like? ROOT BEER. I don’t have root beer. And this goes on for a bit. Now his mother, being deaf – is completely oblivious to what is going on and how rude her son is being. He tells me that he hates EVERYTHING in my house, including the colors on my walls. I send him upstairs to play with my son and tell him before he goes up that if he comes down saying he hates my son, then he’s done at my house. He goes up, comes right back down and announces “I HATE JOSH” with a smirk. I tell him he’s done and needs to leave. At this point, the mother’s boyfriend is looking for her and she needs to get home. Then he’s leaving, and asks me my name and I give him a fake name and he yells “I HATE FAKE NAME”…

The little shit.  I refrained from bad language when he was in my house.  But oh, I wanted to smack the shit out of the little fucker. 

Tell me - How do you tell someone that their kid is rude??? He was BEYOND rude, and just had no manners whatsoever.



Do I tell her?   What would you do??

7 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

I understand it can be difficult for your friend, being hearing impaired, to catch the nasty words coming out of her kid's mouth, but no one can miss the hostile body language. Blergh. I think you nailed this one on both verbal AND body language! You're linked!

Karen said...

Being deaf does not excuse the parent from turning a "deaf ear" (pun intended) to her child's behavior. If she truly is unaware, then she needs to be made aware. I do not believe that rude behavior by a guest in one's own home should ever be tolerated, child or adult. I personally would inform the parent of the child's behavior and that if it continues you would request that they go home until he can behave civily and not act like a heathen. That's probably why he behaves that way; he knows his mother cannot hear him and is unaware. If her boyfriend is not hearing impaired, perhaps he could help talk to the mother. (LOL when I was typing this, I first typed "monster" instead of "mother." Freudian slip, anyone?!?) Anyway, just my two cents.

cheatymoon said...

I would tell the kid myself that he was being rude and probably prompt him to use nice words. I might even say "good choice". Rude kids, ack. Occupational hazard.

Camille said...

Wow, that's nuts. What a tough situation!

Maybe it's time to learn sign language. (Would look good on a resume anyway!) : )

Cajoh said...

I hope that it got resolved. Sounds like someone was pushing the envelope to see what they could get away with.

K Dubs said...

Thanks for all the great advice! I think I'll keep my mouth shut to her for now, and see how he is next time I see him. If he's rude again, maybe I'll have a talk with him about being appropriate with adults. Maybe he just hasn't been told that he's rude, I don't know. :)

Pseudo said...

My best friend's mom used to tell us, if someone doesn't behave with manners, you are doing them a favor to be honest.

I say be straight up with the kid.

Great language post Kathy!