Saturday, April 20, 2013

Ahhhhhh Boston you're my home

So a random thoughts post for once...


Jesus - what do you say after one of the longest weeks you've ever known?  And while I thought it was long, that's nothing compared to others. 

My hometown, what I still refer to as *home* even after being away for almost 10 years - the subject of a weeklong manhunt for a couple of yahoos who thought they would fuck with the wrong city.  Did they really think they'd get away with it?  Really?  And once their pictures were made public - they had no chance in hell.  Not with the way social media is now.  I'll admit it - I "shared" their pictures on Facebook.  Hoping that someone, anyone, would know who they were.  Turned out, people did.  Shocker. 

One of the injured is an old boyfriend's daughter's boyfriend.  Get that one?  He's one of the brothers that both lost a leg.  Both roofers.  Their lives are changed forever.  For what?  Was there even a point to the bombings?  I hope we find out.  Whatever it is, though, it's not worthy of 4 lives lost and over 180 injured.  And the parents saying they were set up?  Get a grip, people.  Your kids are fucked up.  Were fucked up.  One is going to be fucked for the rest of his life.

Throughout the whole ordeal, I kept thinking of Boston EMS, Police, State Police, etc. - I know people in all the branches - and saw many of them on TV this week.  For the majority of them?  They have never seen anything like Monday's carnage.  How could they have? 

As a complete aside - the boy's father is a MA State Trooper.  From what I know of him - I'd be willing to bet that he was as far away from any of the "action" as he could get.  I thought of that this week, too.  He may carry a gun, but I think he's a coward.   A guy that can't deal with his personal life certainly isn't going to be outstanding at his professional one. 

A friend did a post about families this week - check out her Family post.  I've babysat that adorable baby, by the way.  And she is just as adorable in person.  But..  the boy, with the exception of one sister, only has 1/2 of a family.  But the half he does have?  OUTstanding...  His grandmother and great-aunt were there when he was born.  Although his "father" came in while I was in labor - his excuse for leaving was that my mother growled at him.  Well, duh, asshole.  What did you expect her to do - give you a hug?  LOL  He's got cousins that are like aunts and uncles.  He's got a bazillion 2nd/3rd cousins.  Great (and I mean that in every sense of the word) aunts and uncles that are awesome.  All of that makes up for the grandmother, aunts and siblings that have decided for whatever reason they want nothing to do with him.   Makes me curious why.   My brother had a child with his ex-wife.  When she was two, ex-wife left, taking child with her - and we had no idea where she was, if she was OK, nothing.  For about 20 years.  I won't go into it all - but my niece is awesome, and I'm so glad we've been back in each others lives in the past few years.  I know I'm the best aunt ever LOL...  But my brother?  Because he hadn't told his kids with his present wife that he was married before - chooses to have nothing to do with her.  God forbid should he tell them the truth.  And he's the one with ALS, and he told me (last time we spoke) that he thought that losing him was going to be more devastating to his boys than finding out they have a sister.  Mind you - at that time?  They knew he was sick, but didn't know he has ALS.  Wonder if they've told them that yet?

Anyway... Back to the important stuff.

Hats off to all of the Boston Police, EMS, State Troopers, FBI - ETC....  You all did a wonderful job and deserve every bit of recognition you're going to get.  Seeing the people cheering on the streets of Watertown last night, and then on the Commons - that was just amazing. 

Thank you for all you do.  Thank you for keeping my friends and family safe.  If I were closer, I'd buy a round - and I'm sure that you all need one - or twelve.   Get some sleep.  Hug your kids. 

I've never been more proud of my Boston roots, and more proud of people I know.. I wish I were there to celebrate with you all

This one is for you....



3 comments:

The Gal Herself said...

Great post!

K Dubs said...

:) thanks.

K Dubs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.