Saturday, April 6, 2013

Not my douche, though!

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!



1) How did you meet your best friend? 
Which one?  I have a few, you know.  I'm kind of a big deal.  My BFF?  Kim?  We me on the internet.  In a single mom's chat room on AOL.  Holy shit.  It's 16 (17?) years this month - Josh was just a baby.  She lived in Michigan, I lived in MA.  And there were a whole bunch more of us - from all over the country.  And there was a core group of 3-4 of us and we are still in touch.  Still great friends.  We have been together through so much, and with the exception of just a couple - we've all met. Then we have my BFF Julie, and then there's Karen, we've known each other since we were little kids.  Julie since 1st grade.  Shall I go on?  I didn't think so..

2) Mother Winters used to say she loved all us kids equally, but at various times she liked one of us more than the others. Does your "friend ranking" ever shift? Or is the person you think of today as your best friend always #1?
 We all go through shifts, it depends on what you have going on in life.  Sometimes we want different things - and different friends fill that void.  Like I know if I want to go on a long weekend trip to the UP, Kim's not the BFF I want going with me.  She'll go as far as Traverse City or Mackinac, but that's it.  LOL  If I want out in the woods looking for bear poop - that's Stevie all the way. 
3) What makes you a good friend?
Really?  You ask ME that?  I don't know.  I'm fun?  Funny?  Good cook.  Sometimes a good listener (sometimes I have to relate things to something that's happened to myself - not trying to one-up, just trying to relate - but I'm working on that)..  You'd have to ask my friends what makes me a good friend.  I dunno.  
4) Think back to your childhood -- what games did you and your friends like to play?
oooh oooh oooh...  Hide & Seek, flashlight tag, jeez - all sorts of outside games.  There were a bunch of us in the neighborhood and one side of the street bordered all woods - it was great.  And we were for the most part all within a few years of each other.  It was fun and we'd have a great time.  Then we started to grow up.  Some of us stayed friends, some moved on to the cool kids - but we never really forgot those endless nights just hanging out, being innocent kids - wearing our clothes to bed so we could get outside that much faster in the morning.  We lost one of the "neighborhood kids" last week.  Very sad, and just awful.  She was always a troubled person, and just had demons that nobody understood I guess - maybe not even her.  She committed suicide.  How does your life go from hoping the street lights never come on, to a bottle of pills and a shot of heroin?  Jesus.  I just don't get it.  
5) Would you rather lose your hair, or the little toe on your left foot? (Yes, you must commit to giving one up.)
Fuck off.  I'm keeping both, and you can't make me give one up.  Besides, it's only a flesh wound.  Take my piggy toe.
6) Think of  the phrase, "like nails on a blackboard." What is your least favorite sound?
Nails on a blackboard.  Thanks for that.  Or someone puking.  That's a pretty nasty sound - makes me want to hurl.  Orrrrrrrrr.... let's see.  squishing brains?  Wonder what that sounds like..
7) Do you add fabric softener to your wash or place a softener sheet in the dryer?
Softener sheet.  Either Suavitel, or Downy.  But not with my good towels.  Did you know you're not supposed to use fabric softener with towels?  Takes away their absorbency or something like that.
8) Showtime, HBO, or neither?
Neither.  I'm not paying extra for channels I don't watch.  
9) Have you ever fired a gun?
Yup.  Here's a good one.  The boy's father (aka "the Putz") and I used to go out drinking, and then sometimes we'd go to Castle Island - because we could?  Who the heck knows why...  I remember one time shooting into the water.  Awesome, right?  Drunk, shooting into water.  Yeah.  I'm glad one of us grew up.  And it's not the one with a badge.  Who, from what I understand, still drinks like it's going out of style.  Apparently, that's his way to cope with being a douche.  Not my douche, though!  LOL

10 comments:

Kwizgiver said...

Oh, I agree with the vomit sounds. YUCK!

The Gal Herself said...

So sorry to hear about one of your "neighborhood kids."

katie eggeman said...

We lost a neighborhood kid just a month ago, my brother's best friend

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

Ha ha! Laughing about your last one. Sorry about one of the neighbor kids. I completely understand the need to relate it to something common to understand. I think most of us need to do that.

K Dubs said...

It's really a shame about the "neighborhood kid". We literally grew up next door to each other. She had 4 kids, and a grandson as well - but apparently had been a hot mess for years. I feel the worst for her mother, who was always so nice and just didn't deserve to watch her daughter (or for that fact either of her daughters) put themselves through what they've done to themselves. And Kimberly - glad I could provide a laugh. I laugh all the time when I think about how he's ended up.. ;-)

I am Harriet said...

ha ha ha- FO! Too funny.
My son got Netflix and he is able to share it with everyone. We got an Apple TV which I can watch Netflix and more with. Love it!

Diana_CT said...

The neighbor kids that I used to hang out with all went on their separate ways. I found out a little while ago that one of the neighbors kids OD on drugs.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your old friend too.

Your title and last answer made me think of Family Guy - "You're MY douche, Brian. MY douche". But it sounds like you are well shot of yours :)

K Dubs said...

hahaha I can hear him saying that, too! Too funny. And yeah, it's been a long road - I'm still learning to let go of a lot of anger, but again - he's not my douche any more. :)

K Dubs said...

Oh April, sisters are another post entirely. And yes, you can say that lol. Mine is just as bad...