Sunday, August 24, 2008

ahhhh Sunday..

Yesterday we ran into the boy's "bestest friend in the whole entire world" who he hasn't really seen all summer. They've been really busy, not us - we're always home LOL.. but she ended up coming over for the afternoon and they had a great time. And last night her mom told me that they're holding her back in 5th grade - she's not going on to the middle school with J-Dawg. I had thought about holding him back, but he's one of the oldest kids in his class now, and while it may not make a difference now - he'd be 19 when he graduated from HS. I remember Eric C. from like 4th or 5th grade, and how he got held back and was at least 19 when we graduated. He was a bit challenged and ended up with a career at the car wash. I know that Josh is destined for bigger and better things, and I know it's going to be up to me to make sure that he can make it in middle school. Which means that *I* need to step up, and also do a better job at holding the teachers more responsible. I feel bad, because I think a lot of 5th grade for him was (academically) without me - I was so wrapped up in trying to find a job, trying to make sure he was going to be OK after what the fuckwit did to him, making sure the FFW's (that's the filthy fucking whore) kid wasn't torturing him at school, making sure of a lot of things - one of which didn't include making him do his homework and helping him study. Middle school is going to be tough for him. But I have to hope that since we're both in a better place that we can do it together. Oy vey.

2 comments:

cheatymoon said...

Josh will be fine - don't beat yourself up for last year.
You did an amazing job pulling out of a horrific situation. Make sure you get him services in the middle school is you think he needs them - that's when kids tend to slip through the cracks. Glad you got to hang out w/ his buddy!!

K Dubs said...

Thanks :) I hope that eventually it'll turn out as the "forgotten" year. I tried to get a 504 in place for him, and the school is notoriously bad at follow up, and he never got one. He's going to need it - especially with math. I'm going to look into finding a tutor or help for him, too. I am determined that he will NOT fall through the cracks. You know me - I'm not quiet. lol